[Histonet] Re: inking dyes

Robert Richmond rsrichmond <@t> gmail.com
Thu Jul 15 20:06:11 CDT 2010

Diana McCaig in Chatham, Ontario asks >>Can someone provide me with a
supplier of tissue marking dyes for use on the grossing bench.<<

You're referring to inks used to mark the margins of resected tissue
so that the pathologist can find the surgical margins under the
microscope. They're particulate inks suspended in a viscous medium,
rather than soluble dyes.

There are several brands of these inks. In my personal experience the
Davison marking inks (see bradleyproducts.com) - order direct from
them or through some of the standard vendors - are better than the
competition. (I have no commercial connection with Bradley Products.)

Some pathologists like tattoo inks - available in great numbers of
colors and quite cheap - but the catalogs you have to buy them from
are a real gross-out.

Most important thing about using any marking ink is to cap the bottle
promptly when you're through using it. Do that and they'll last for
years.

Bob Richmond
Samurai Pathologist
Knoxville TN