[Histonet] FW: Fried biopsies

Kaye Ryan kryan <@t> nfderm.com
Thu Jul 15 09:49:45 CDT 2010

Sorry, I forgot about attachments.  Here is the procedure.

REPROCESSING DRIED OR SUB-OPTIMAL TISSUE SPECIMENS

PURPOSE:

This procedure provides instructions for rehydrating dried tissue
specimens.

PRINCIPLE:

Tissue may become dry due to a malfunctioning of the processor, or if
the tissue has inadvertently been left out of fixative for an extended
period of time.  The fixative can also sometimes evaporate from the
container, or leak out if the lid is not tightly sealed.  Some cadaver
tissues may be dried out if the body is discovered some days after death
has occurred and been exposed to the elements.

TEST METHOD INSTRUCTIONS:
N/A

SPECIMEN TYPE/:

Any tissue that is dried or brittle either before or after fixation, or
improperly processed paraffin blocks resulting from processor
malfunction.

EQUIPMENT:

Tissue processor (VIP)
Graduated cylinders
Metal tissue molds
Glass containers

SAFETY REQUIREMENTS/SPECIAL HANDLING:

When reprocessing tissue specimens, gloves, goggles, and a plastic apron
or laboratory coat should be worn.

Formalin is a suspected carcinogen.
Glycerin should be handled under a hood.

REAGENTS NEEDED:

Formol- Sodium Acetate (Stock) Solution
Formol- Glycerol (Working) Solution
Paraffin
Xylene
100% Dehydrant
95% Dehydrant

REAGENT PREPARATION:

Formol-Sodium Acetate (Stock) Solution
Concentrated formalin (37%) solution____________________50.0 ml
Sodium Acetate______________________________________10.0 g
Tap water___________________________________________450.0 ml

Formol-Glycerol (Working) Solution
Formol-Sodium Acetate (Stock) Solution__________________450.0 ml
Glycerol (glycerin)____________________________________50.0 ml

PROCEDURE:

A.	If tissue is dry due to a malfunction of the processor, follow
steps 6-7 of the reprocessing schedule below.
B.	If the tissue is left out of fixative for a period of time, or
if the fixative evaporates, follow steps 6-7 of the reprocessing
schedule below.
C.	If at microtomy, paraffin blocks do not section due to improper
impregnation with paraffin, reprocessing can be accomplished by
following all steps of the reprocessing schedule.

Reprocessing Schedule:

1.	Place paraffin blocks in molten paraffin wax (60 C) for two (2)
hours.
2.	Remove tissue from paraffin and place in three (3) changes of
xylene for one (1) hour each.
3.	Place tissue in 100% dehydrant, two (2) changes, for one (1)
hour each.
4.	Place tissue in 95% dehydrant, two (2) changes, for one (1) hour
each.
5.	Place tissue under running tap water for 20 minutes.
6.	Place tissue in formol-glycerol working solution until softening
occurs. (This usually occurs within 5-8 hours. Extended exposure to the
formol-glycerol solution will not harm tissue.)
7.	Place tissue on the processor and proceed with routine
processing starting in the dehydrant. (It is not necessary to expose the
tissue to further fixation.)

EXPECTED RESULTS:

Dried tissue specimens are softened and acceptable histologic
preparations can then be generated.