SPAM-LOW: [Histonet] air dry or heat dry

Patsy Ruegg pruegg <@t> ihctech.net
Sat Jul 10 11:48:21 CDT 2010

I really do not think it is a good idea to heat frozen sections, especially
repeatedly.  I air dry frozen sections, then store them in slide mailers
(holds 5) in plastic bags at -80. Take what ever slide mailers I need and
put them in a plastic bag I store in the freezer which has some desiccant in
it and seal it.  I then take the sealed bag with the slide mailers and
desiccant out and leave it on the counter top at rt for 15-30 min. before
opening the bag.  This allows the slides to come to rt without liquid melt
forming on the section.  You could do the same thing with say using a 100
slot slide box, a plastic bag big enough to hold a rack, in the freezer take
out the slides you need for staining, put them in the rack inside the cold
plastic bag with some desiccant, seal it up before removing from the freezer
and allow to come to rt temp without opening the bag for 15-30 min.

How well your IHC staining is after all the kinds of storage and handling
you mentioned depends individually on the target of interest.  Some targets
are hardy and will be fine, while others will be easily destroyed, you need
to choose a handling method that will assure the preservation of the weakest
target and then you can be sure they are all preserved.

Regards,

Patsy

Patsy Ruegg, HT(ASCP)QIHC
IHCtech