[Histonet] bat wing histology

Amos Brooks amosbrooks <@t> gmail.com
Fri Jul 2 15:14:36 CDT 2010

Hi,
    I do hope you are looking at cross sections of the wing and not the
flat. That would be very difficult indeed. For good cross sections I would
try a "Swiss Roll". This is a way of demonstrating a large amount of cross
sectional area in small space. Take the membrane and fix it by submersion in
the fixative of your choice. Prior to processing roll the whole membrane up
then cut the membrane log into sections small enough to fit in a cassette.
You can use foam biopsy pads to support this shape. Embed it and section it
on edge to show a long coiled membrane. The hairs should be able to be
displayed in this way as well. To show a lot of membrane at the same time
you could place multiple rolls in one cassette. This should work well.

Good Luck,
Amos

Message: 21
Date: Thu, 1 Jul 2010 11:46:17 -0400
From: Mohit Chadha <mchadha1 <@t> gmail.com>
Subject: [Histonet] bat wing histology
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu

Hello everyone,

This is my very first post and I am desperately looking for help. I am new
to histology, so any help would be much appreciated.

I am studying the peripheral sensory innervation of bat wings. As a first
step, I would like to demonstrate the innervation pattern on the different
parts of the wing membrane (a whole mount of the wing?). Second, I would
like to demonstrate the mechanoreceptor make-up of the tiny hairs on the
wing membrane.

Bat wings are highly elastic, with numerous folds, a thickness of about
35-45 microns (in the species I study), a network of thin collagen bundles,
and pigmented superficial epidermal layers.
I could provide more information if required.

Hoping to hear back from the members.
Thank you.