[Histonet] Re: control tissue for Hall's bile stain

Robert Richmond rsrichmond <@t> gmail.com
Fri Jul 2 12:48:52 CDT 2010

Hall's bile stain - not really a stain but a reaction, like the Perls
prussian blue reaction for iron - uses trichloracetic acid and ferric
chloride to oxidize yellow-brown bilirubin to bright green biliverdin.
Or so I've been told - I've never seen one.

Something I've wondered about for a long time: could Hall's reaction
be used to demonstrate meconium in macrophages in the chorion of the
human placenta? These can be hard to see, particularly if you don't
have a very good microscope. - If this would work, it would provide a
ready source for controls, at least for the hospital pathologist.

Bob Richmond
Samurai Pathologist
Knoxville TN