[Histonet] RE: Decontamination of a Cryostat

Carol Bryant cbrya <@t> lexclin.com
Fri Jan 29 11:01:34 CST 2010

What about instruments that have a built-in defrost and disinfect process with formalin?  Is that sufficient to meet CAP's requirements?  We do it weekly at our lab.

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Morken, Tim
Sent: Friday, January 29, 2010 11:46 AM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] RE: Decontamination of a Cryostat

Cryostat decontamination references:

Decontamination for HIV
Frozen Section Technique for Tissues Infected by the AIDS Virus, Swisher, B.L., Ewing, E.P., J Histotechnol, V9, No.1, p.29 (March 1986)
Recommends 95% ETOH (other publications referenced here indicate 95% alcohol is effective against HIV).

College of American Pathologists, Commentary on accreditation questionaire:
1)	Decontaminate regularly with 70% alcohol.
2)	Defrost, remove trimmings and decontaminate with a tuberculocidal disinfectant, preferably weekly for instruments used daily
3)	Reference: National Committee for Clinical Laboratory Standards (NCCLS), Protection of Laboratory Workers from Instrument Biohazards and Infectious Disease Transmitted by Blood, body Fluids, and Tissue; Approved Guideline M29-A. Wayne, PA, NCCLS, 1997
http://www.cap.org/HTML/checklist_html/cklst08p.html

NCCLS site: http://www.nccls.org/

Department of Agriculture for Northern Ireland, Safe Working and the Prevention of Infection in Clinical Laboratories, Health Services Advisory Committee.
Recommends formalin fuming for 24-48 hours at room temperature. Followed by ammonia for one hour (presumably as a neutralizer).

Laboratory Histopathology: A Complete Reference, Woods and Ellis, Churchill Livingstone, 1994.
Recommends defrosting , washing with 70% alcohol, complete cleaning. (no references given).

For those who like to read a lot:
APIC Guideline for Selection and Use of Disinfectants, Association for Professionals in Infection Control (APIC), American Journal of Infection Control, Vol 24(4), August 1996, 313-342. A good review of all disinfectants in use and the pros and cons of each.
Tim Morken
Supervisor, Histology / IPOX
UCSF Medical Center
San Francisco, CA