[HISTONET] embedding cell cultures

Nicholas David Evans ndevans <@t> stanford.edu
Wed Jan 27 12:25:42 CST 2010

Dear all,

I was hoping someone might be able to offer me some advice on embedding and sectioning cell cultures.

In short we are growing cells which form 3D dome-like structures on tissue culture plastic. Does anyone have any experience or advice to offer on embedding the cultures in situ before sectioning? I have seen various methods in the literature, which often use Epon to embed the material followed by sawing away the plastic, but if anyone can offer some tips on other possible (easier) ways of doing it, or can refer me to some useful literature, I'd be very grateful.

I would like to have simple 10um sections at 90 degrees to the substrate, which I can use for IHC.

Best wishes
Nick