[Histonet] tissue retention times

Kim.Donadio <@t> bhcpns.org Kim.Donadio <@t> bhcpns.org
Mon Jan 25 11:05:17 CST 2010

We are not a MOHS lab. I know many laws have changed since I worked in
one, this being one of them I think. I would not go as far as to getting a
-80 freezer for this. If you cant send them out to another lab for
processing or do it there, both which are very costly. I might try saving
the samples in the small 20 ml 10% buffered formalin bottles. Not sure
what your laws are there about the disposal of formalin but here we can
neutralize it and toss it. So this might be a cost efficient way for you
to meet this requirement without processing your samples.

Kim Donadio
Pathology Supervisor
Baptist Hospital
1000 W Moreno St.
Pensacola FL 32501
Phone (850) 469-7718
Fax (850) 434-4996

"Ingles Claire " <CIngles <@t> uwhealth.org>
Sent by: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
01/21/2010 12:11 PM

cc

Subject
[Histonet] tissue retention times

OK, everybody crack open your JCAHO requirement manuals...
We are a MOHS lab and were surveyed by Joint Commission about 2 months
ago. During the survey, we were cited because we only retain our physical
tissue specimens for 24 hours, as they remain fresh and are not fixed. We
throw the tissue the following afternoon vs. retaining for the "1 week
after microscopic sections are examined and reports are reviewed and
signed." (Standard #QC.2.120)
Has anyone else (specifically a Mohs lab) been cited for this? We are
currently trying to appeal, but have been denied so far. I am having a
teleconference with the JCAHO powers that be to try and get the appeal
going again, but I'm not the lawyer type.
The letter states that their interpretation is that even if the tissue is
not regarded as 'gross' tissue, any 'useable' tissue must be retained for
a minimum of a week after the case is signed off on.I am thinking on
focusing on the 'useable' bit as related to diagnostic value of delayed
retained fresh tissue processing i.e. freeze artifact, tissue degredation,
inability to perform ancillary testing, etc. Also, what is the definition
of 'reviewed and signed reports'? Does this mean when the case is
finalized, or just the tissue sections in question? We sometimes have
patients that go a month + between Mohs procedures on the same positive
lesion.
We will probably have to get a -80 freezer for this if the appeal doesn't
go through. Not to mention the fact that some of our cases are not
resolved for months. We would have constantly search when cases are
finalized to know when we can dispose of the tissue. FYI, the letter also
states that the JCAHO standard is more stringent than the CLIA standard,
so I'm not even really going to use it in arguments.

HELP!
Claire Ingles
UW Hospital & Clinics
Madison WI

All electronic data transmissions originating from or sent to
Baptist Health Care Corporation (BHC) are subject to monitoring.
This message along with any attached data, are the confidential and
proprietary communications of BHC and are intended to be received
only by the individual or individuals to whom the message has been
addressed. If the reader of this message is not the intended
recipient, please take notice that any use, copying, printing,
forwarding or distribution of this message, in any form, is
strictly prohibited and may violate State or Federal Law. If you
have received this transmission in error, please delete or destroy
all copies of this message.  For questions, contact the BHC Privacy
Officer at (850) 434-4472.  Rev.10/07.