[Histonet] What's wrong with Diff Quick?

Jeffrey Silverman pathmaster <@t> yahoo.com
Sun Jan 24 12:38:45 CST 2010

Why mess with persnickety Wright Giemsa stains. We stain all our bone marrows, lymph node touch preps etc with Diff Quick- the same set up we use for our H pylori biopsies minus the fixative step. Can someone tell me the difference if there is any and why anyone would mess with Wright Giemsa when Diff Quick (or others like it) are so easy? Our docs are just fine with this.
Another alternative we used to do was put the BM smear  on the stainer in Hematology. Worked fine too.

Jeff Silverman HT HTL QIHC (ASCP)
Pathologists' Assistant
Southside Hospital NSLIJHS