[Histonet] cassettes for microwave tissue processing

Amos Brooks amosbrooks <@t> gmail.com
Wed Jan 20 18:39:03 CST 2010

Hi James,
     Biopsy cassettes can be good to hold tiny specimens, but some of them
are just terrible. The ones that are like a nylon bag float when you put
them in the rack to load the processor until they finally take on enough
solution to sink. They have about the same reagent carry over as the biopsy
pads because the solutions just don't drain out of them well. And it is
really difficult to remove an air bubble during embedding. You actually end
up having to over fill the mold to keep any bubbles out. The ones that are
just plastic with tiny holes are much better.

Amos

Message: 9
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2010 07:34:29 -0600
From: "Vickroy, Jim" <Vickroy.Jim <@t> mhsil.com>
Subject: [Histonet] cassettes for microwave tissue processing
To: "Histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu"
       <Histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu>

We are expecting our new microwave tissue processor in less than a month.
Currently we are using biopsy pads for a lot of our small specimens for
regular processing.   I know the use of biopsy pads is highly discouraged on
the microwave tissue processors, and vendors have suggested using biopsy
bags for our small biopsies when they need microwave processing.   I am also
considering some biopsy cassettes and would like some feedback on other's
experiences.

Obviously there are many types of biopsy cassettes on the market, some with
compartments, some with micromesh, some with just small holes.   I would
like some feedback on what has worked best for microwave users.

Thanks

James Vickroy BS, HT(ASCP)

Surgical  and Autopsy Pathology Technical Supervisor
Memorial Medical Center
217-788-4046