[Histonet] Downtime Procedure

Percival Karen KPercival <@t> wyeth.com
Wed Jan 20 07:54:52 CST 2010

At my former place of employment, I had created a downtime procedure to manage computer downtime for my staff which consisted of histotechs, cytotechs, admin staff, and a PA (grossing).  I currently do not have a copy of that procedure, but I will try to get it a copy of it from a former colleague who may still have access to it.

Having a computer downtime procedure in place worked out really well.  Everyone knew what to do, and panic and confusion were minimized, and getting the information back into the computer when the system came back up was organized and quick.  We were able to continue with specimen processing, and the pathologists even received their slides on time, for the most part.

It actually took quite a while to create the procedure but was well worth the time spent.  Mostly it was simply spelling out detail by detail how to manually perform the tasks that would keep processess moving along as much as possible, especially those that did not need a computer; such as, accessioning specimens with "paper numbers", processing fluids and paps, gross dictation, I think, was done on an tape recorder, etc.  Anyway, I'll try to get a copy of the procedure.  Sorry I don't currently have it.

Karen Percival, BS, HT
Research Scientist II
Pfizer Research DSRD
1 Burtt Road
G3025
Andover, MA 01810
888-577-1500 x 4058
kpercival @wyeth.com
>>> "Cathy" <cfitz <@t> 007group.com> 1/19/2010 10:31 PM >>>

It would be good to hear any responses to this question.  Last October our
entire facility's computer system was down for 2 1/2 days.  We do have
downtime log sheets that we implemented but no formal procedure.  Management
is now looking at how the crash was handled and for ways to improve things.
The downtime log sheets were very useful but I'm sure there is much more
that we could be doing.

Cathy