[Histonet] IHC edge effect

mesruh turkekul turkekul <@t> gmail.com
Wed Jan 13 11:56:34 CST 2010

Dear Colleagues,

In my opinion the edge effect problem has many different components. In each
particular case the reason/reasons for edge effect are different.
Sometimes I observe that the staining intensity gradually decreases towards
the center of the section. In this case I think this is mainly fixation
problem.
I had experienced edge effect with manual as well different automated IHC
staining systems. Sometimes adjacent sections from he same block give
different intensity of edge effect with different antibodies/protocols.
Sometimes the edge effect is due to the trauma caused during
cutting/crossing the specimen before fixation.
Sometimes due to HIER methods or drying of the sections during staining. And
different antibodies/IHC protocols have different sensitivities to all of
the above phenomena that tortures the tissue/section.
All the answers given before to that question are correct.

Regards,
Mesruh Turkekul
Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center
New York, NY 10021