[Histonet] Policy on Floaters

DKBoyd <@t> chs.net DKBoyd <@t> chs.net
Thu Jan 7 07:18:07 CST 2010

Lots of traffic on this one.  Yes you definitely need a policy.  The
policy should define how you will "try" to eliminate floaters ie;  clean
water bath after each block, spray/wipe/change paper towels after each
specimen while grossing etc.  It also must include how it will be
resolved.  This covers everyone involved and is considered best practice.

Debbie M. Boyd, HT(ASCP) l Chief Histologist l Southside Regional Medical
Center I
200 Medical Park Boulevard l Petersburg, Va.  23805 l T: 804-765-5050 l F:
804-765-5582 l dkboyd <@t> chs.net

"Marcia Funk" <FUNKM <@t> mercyhealth.com>
Sent by: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
01/06/2010 05:23 PM

"Mark Tarango" <marktarango <@t> gmail.com>, "Soo-Jin Cho"
<Soo-Jin.Cho <@t> ucsfmedctr.org>
cc
"histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu" <histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu>
Subject
Re: [Histonet] Policy on Floaters

Floaters
Yes, you are so right, for patient safety and your safety,  policy is a
must.  Protects you and the patient.
Marcia

Marcia Funk
Histology Laboratory
Mercy Medical Center North Iowa
Mason City, IA, 50401
641-422-7907

>>> Mark Tarango <marktarango <@t> gmail.com> 01/06/2010 2:21 PM >>>
Your goal is not to have floaters.  If you get one, your policy should set
out to determine the cause of these incidents.  You should track who did
it
(in a spreadsheet), where it happened (grossing, embedding, cutting...).
Then you should have a meeting every so often with people from the lab and
some pathologists where you go over all the incidents, brainstorm for
corrective actions, and decide about what you can do differently.

Make sure you have the techs invovled or it won't be very effective.

Mark