[Histonet] Problems with Denatured Alcohol?

Joe Nocito jnocito <@t> satx.rr.com
Mon Jan 4 16:52:28 CST 2010

Pam is correct, I mean, look at me, I've been denatured for many years.
Happy New Year everyone

JTT
----- Original Message -----
From: "Pamela Marcum" <mucram11 <@t> comcast.net>
To: "Smith Wanda" <Wanda.Smith <@t> HCAhealthcare.com>
Cc: <histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu>
Sent: Monday, January 04, 2010 9:52 AM
Subject: Re: [Histonet] Problems with Denatured Alcohol?

Wanda,

The first thing you need to find out is what did they denature it with.
Denatured alcohol may not be the mixture of isopropanol and methanol in
ethanol you were getting and could be chemically denatured.

This is a problem that comes up when we don't check all the variables in
what is actually in the products we buy and the vendor doesn't tell us why
it got cheaper. If it is a chemical denaturing of the alcohol it could be
designed for use in one of many fields just not histology. The real
requirement for reagent and denatured alcohol with the ATF is that the
product be undrinkable or unfit for human consumption. Also different
manufacturers use varying amounts of isopropanol/methanol/ethanol and that
can change the way it processes and stains tissue. The best is 5% each of
isopropanol and methanol with the remaining 90% ethanol.

Pam Marcum

UAMS