SPAM-LOW: [Histonet] Re: Stain to differentiate Hemoglobin from Hemosiderin?

Patsy Ruegg pruegg <@t> ihctech.net
Fri Jan 1 12:22:17 CST 2010

I agree with Samurai, Prussian Blue will only stain iron, it is very
specific and will not stain the other components listed.

I have used it to verify aluminum staining reaction in bone, sometimes it is
iron and not really aluminum, but the aluminum reaction I used would stain
aluminum and iron, the Prussian blue reaction would not stain aluminum, only
iron, so we had to do the two together to verify that the positive al
staining was really AL and not iron deposited in the bone, this happens to
renal patients on dialysis when they cannot metabolize out the AL it
deposits at the surface of the bone and can prevent formation of new bone,
and there are some diseases where iron is deposited in the bone the same way
AL is.

Happy New Year!

Patsy

Patsy Ruegg, HT(ASCP)QIHC