[Histonet] Fire in the lab

Weems, Joyce JWeems <@t> sjha.org
Fri Feb 26 12:47:04 CST 2010

I did the same thing several years ago - caught my uniform on fire but
ran to the sink and all was well in a minute - techs ran to my rescue.

But then one of the gang said... "Grab the marshmallows, the
supervisor's on fire!"... Gotta love em...

Happy Friday!! J

Joyce Weems
Pathology Manager
Saint Joseph's Hospital
5665 Peachtree Dunwoody Rd NE
Atlanta, GA 30342
678-843-7376 - Phone
678-843-7831 - Fax

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Stephanie Rosenwinkel
Sent: Friday, February 26, 2010 12:58
To: dkboyd <@t> chs.net; christiegowan <@t> msn.com
Cc: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu;
histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: RE: [Histonet] Fire in the lab

A few years back, I also had a fire break out while cleaning off the
weighing instrument. There was left over powders of other chemicals on
there and my gauze started on fire. So needless to say, please clean up
after yourselves! It was Scary, very scary! I tried to yell for help but
nothing would come out of my mouth, so I called 911.

It was a lesson learned the hard way, for sure.

Steph HT(ASCP)

> To: christiegowan <@t> msn.com
> From: DKBoyd <@t> chs.net
> Date: Fri, 26 Feb 2010 09:50:08 -0500
> Subject: Re: [Histonet] Fire in the lab
> CC: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu;
> histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
>
> Not exactly the same, but very similar.  We had an automatic stainer
> by the sink and one of the techs was washing glassware, the stainer
> was running.  The water apparently splashed on the wiring and a fire
broke
> out.  We jumped into action.  Just as we had been in-service.   You
are
> correct what a mess to clean up!  Fire extinquishers are wonderful but

> extremely messy.  We had totally taken care of the situation by the
> time the fire department got here.  We actually got accolades for
> preventing a much larger fire.  It was determined that there was some
> exposed wires on the stainer.
> A good lesson for all.
>
> Debbie M. Boyd, HT(ASCP) l Chief Histologist l Southside Regional
> Medical Center I 200 Medical Park Boulevard l Petersburg, Va.  23805 l

> T: 804-765-5050 l F:
> 804-765-5582 l dkboyd <@t> chs.net
>

> CHRISTIE GOWAN <christiegowan <@t> msn.com> Sent by:
> histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
> 02/26/2010 09:21 AM

> <histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu>
> cc
>
> Subject
> [Histonet] Fire in the lab
>

> Dear Histonet Friends,
>
> I just wanted to share an incident we recently had with an old
> paraffin pot. One of my techs came in on Sunday to embed some tissues,

> went into the processor room and smelled something burning. He noticed

> our old paraffin pot had charred looking labels on the outside so he
> went over, opened the lid and poof!!! the pot went up in flames. The
> thermostat had gone haywire and heated the paraffin to flash point.
> Opening the lid gave it the oxygen it needed to ignite. He triggered
> the alarm, made the appropriate call and then put it out with an
> extinguisher. Of course it kept re-igniting because he could not get
> behind it to pull the plug. The fire dept finally was able to get it
> pulled out and unplugged. Needless to say the tech was shaken and the
> room was a mess. I applaud his courage and am not sure I would have
> done the same. There was enough xylene and alcohol on the 4 processors

> to cause quite an explosion but everything else was in a flammable
> cabinet. I was wondering if this type of thing had ever happened to
> anyone else?? Needless to say, we have de-comissioned all old paraffin

> pots and will order only those with over temp safety features. I guess

> I just wanted to remind everyone that fires can happen in the lab and
> do probably more often than we hear about. This was the first time for

> me and I have been in this business for over 20 years. Take care and
be safe.

> Christie Gowan HT (ASCP)

> [...]

Confidentiality Notice:
This email, including any attachments is the
property of Catholic Health East and is intended
for the sole use of the intended recipient(s).
It may contain information that is privileged and
confidential.  Any unauthorized review, use,
disclosure, or distribution is prohibited. If you are
not the intended recipient, please reply to the
sender that you have received the message in
error, then delete this message.