[Histonet] M.O.M frozen section background

Nicholas David Evans ndevans <@t> stanford.edu
Thu Feb 25 11:28:16 CST 2010

Sorry, embed in OCT in a mould sitting in a slurry. Thanks for the useful
advice everyone.

nick

  _____

From: Charles.Scouten <@t> leica-microsystems.com
[mailto:Charles.Scouten <@t> leica-microsystems.com]
Sent: Thursday, February 25, 2010 9:26 AM
To: ndevans <@t> stanford.edu; histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: RE: [Histonet] M.O.M frozen section background

I would say that dehydrating and rehydrating worked by washing away the
leaked cytosol, but that you did not get as strong a stain inside the
cells as if you had cut with a vibrating microtome.  But I would agree
that sucrose cryoprotection, then immersion in a slurry with dry ice would
snap freeze as fast as it can be done, but wait, methanol?  That will
penetrate the tissue, and has its own coagulant fixative effect, no?  Did
you immersion freeze in methanol?

Cordially,

Charles W. Scouten, Ph.D

Product Manager, MNL

Biosystems Division

Leica Biosystems Richmond, Inc.
5205 Route 12
P.O. Box 528
Richmond, IL 60071
United States of America

Telephone 630 964 0501

facsimile +1 630 964 0576

www.MyNeuroLab.com <http://www.myneurolab.com/>

www.leica-microsystems.com <http://www.leica-microsystems.com/>

IMPORTANT - This email and any attachments may be confidential. Any
retransmissions, dissemination or other use of

these materials by persons or entities other than the intended recipient
is prohibited. If received in error, please contact

us and delete all copies. Before opening or using attachments, check them
for viruses and defects. Our liability is limited

to resupplying any affected attachments. [Any representations or opinions
expressed in this email are those of the

individual sender].