[Histonet] Snap Freezing Tissue

Merced M Leiker leiker <@t> buffalo.edu
Thu Feb 25 10:42:49 CST 2010

Laurie's query:  We snap freeze by throwing a cyrovial of tissue (or a
tissue piece wrapped in foil) into some liquid nitrogen for a couple
minutes (vials will float, foil-wrapped pieces will sink). For controlled
freezing of OCT-embedded tissues, I've frozen isopentane by pouring some in
a liquid-nitrogen proof shallow container (such as a pipet-tip box lid) and
floating it on the liquid nitrogen til frozen. I guess this works if you're
processing a relatively small number of samples at a time, which, if you
work in a hospital, sounds like you may not be.  Additionally, we've made
alcohol-dry ice slurries in styrofoam containers in which to freeze
OCT-embedded tissues.

Regards,
Merced

--On Thursday, February 25, 2010 10:12 AM -0500 Michael W
illiams <mjwilliams <@t> scilogex.com> wrote:

> It can be purchased directly from 3M. You may also find some local
> suppliers.
>
> Michael Williams
> mjwilliams <@t> scilogex.com
> SCILOGEX, LLC
> TF: (877) SCILOGEX
> T: (860) 828-5614
> F: (860) 828-5389
> www.SCILOGEX.com

Merced M Leiker
Research Technician III
Cardiovascular Medicine
348 Biomedical Research Building
State University of New York at Buffalo
3435 Main St, Buffalo, NY 14214  USA
leiker <@t> buffalo.edu
716-829-6118 (Ph)
716-829-2665 (Fx)

No trees were harmed in the sending of this email.
However, many electrons were severely inconvenienced.