[Histonet] Paraffin Accumulation on floor

Jay Lundgren jaylundgren <@t> gmail.com
Thu Feb 25 01:32:12 CST 2010

    I have noticed that most slips happen in the junctions between the
paraffin covered floors and  " uncoated"  floors, such as doorways to
outside halls.  The change in traction does it.  Also, hard soled shoes are
fine, as long as they have a build up of paraffin on them.  If a visitor (or
pathologist) comes into the lab that doesn't have paraffin residue on the
bottom of their shoes, watch out.  In Texas, during the summer, walking
outside will melt the paraffin off the bottom of my shoes, and the next day
is slippery for a little while.
    Anyway, have each tech responsible for cleaning the floors in their
cutting or embedding area each day, and make it part of their evaluation.
Long handled scrapers are good (Mercedes Medical carries one), but my
personal favorite weapon is the long edge of a glass slide (use with
caution, broken glass hazard, only for experts).  Those sticky, peel off
mats in doorways are cool.  If you have a custodial staff, have them strip
your floors once a month.  Waxing the floors afterward is a matter of taste,
IMHO, it makes the floor more slippery than an unwaxed floor.  I think mats
and rugs add their own trip and fall hazards, except maybe a cushion mat in
front of a grossing station, if your grosser grosses standing up.

                                                               Sincerely,

                                                                  Jay A.
Lundgren M.S., HTL (ASCP)