Fwd: Re: [Histonet] Bone tissue

John Kiernan jkiernan <@t> uwo.ca
Tue Feb 23 12:53:51 CST 2010

 Just for the record, Mollifex isn't alkaline. It is probably either Baker's 1941 mixture (see below) or the following (parts by volume):
    95% ethanol 952
    Glycerol 32
    Acetone 80
    "Liquid phenol" 8
 - - -
"Liquid phenol" is probably liquefied phenol, USP, which contains about 10% water and at least 89% phenol (w/w), or something similar.
 For more information and discussion, see Maria Wynnchuk (1992) Minimizing artifacts in tissue processing: Part 1. Importance of softening agents. J. Histotechnol. 15(4): 321-323. This paper also discusses effects of softening faced blocks on H&E staining.

John R Baker (1941) used 9 parts 60% ethanol and 1 part glycerol (J. Roy. Microsc. Soc. 61: 75), whereas R. C. Pearlman and Buell C. Cole (1951) sang the praises of 1% dishwashing detergent and similar solutions (Stain Technol. 26(2): 115-118). Manfred Gabe (Histological Techniques, Paris, 1976, a great book) favoured soaking faced paraffin blocks in cold water. For what it's worth, I have found water helpful when sectioning decalcified rats' heads. With all these well documented and inexpensive softening liquids it should never be necessary to resort to a proprietary product whose composition is kept secret from the buyer and user.

 John Kiernan
 Anatomy, UWO
 London, Canada
  = = =