[Histonet] Workload units

Joanne Clark jclark <@t> pcnm.com
Tue Feb 23 10:54:11 CST 2010

I am a Canadian trained tech and back home we used to have to record
workload units that had to be reported to the Ministry of Health.  The
Ministry set a standard of one workload unit per minute and a study was
conducted to calculate the amount of time it took a tech to complete a
task/test and so all tests were assigned a workload value.  For example,
an H&E was worth one test and seven units.
So Rene is correct in how to come up with your values, but don't forget
the non testing tasks that also need to be carried out such as doing
your QC, filing blocks, changing the processors etc.  All these things
take time, but are not considered a 'test'.
We would use our workload units to validate to administration our need
for more staff.  The justification was that if it took one minute to
generate one workload unit, than a tech could not safely do more than 60
units per hour.  When the workload units became more than what the
number of your staff should be producing for a set period of time, than
you were risking patient safety.
Until ASCP or an equivalent lab governing body come up with the
definition of a workload unit, coming up with your own might be a moot
point.

Joanne Clark, HT
Histology Supervisor
Path Consultants of New Mexico