[Histonet] Gomori Reticulum

mtitford <@t> aol.com mtitford <@t> aol.com
Thu Feb 18 11:58:21 CST 2010

Gudrun asks about how  the Gomori retic procedure works:

It is my understanding that the iron alum (ferric ammonium sulphate) acts as a sensitizer. The iron combines with the aldehyde formed in the reticulum from the previous oxidation step to create an aldehyde-metal complex. In the third step with the ammoniacal silver nitrate, the silver combines with this complex, but is not visible. Treatment with formlin makes it visible.Toning with gold chloride stabilises the silver, and thiosulphate removes excess silver remaining in the tissue.

We all like to say "Reticulin" but "Reticulum" is the correct word.

Michael Titford
USA Pathology
Mobile AL USA

=