[Histonet] out-of-hospital environment labs

Andrew Burgeson napoli <@t> siscom.net
Sun Feb 7 13:09:20 CST 2010

Here are the plain facts for anyone whose paycheck they are
defending inside hospital-based environments:

All labs in the USA are owned by some kind of PRIVATE
interest. Get used to it.

For all those histology and lab "EXPERTS" out there who
think they know what they are talking about regarding
out-of-hospital labs, PLEASE, FOR PITY SAKE, enlighten all
of us "UNTRAINED" histo professionals as to how the MBA and
Venture capital $ organizations that run hospitals and
PROFIT off of Technical Components are any different from
anyone else who wants to build or own a lab?

You are really only repeating the lamentations of the
privately contracted Pathology group entities and the
Hospital MBA $ PEOPLE who go ahead and divide up the
"spoils" you are so quick to blame board-certified
clinicians (some of whom are fellowed in their respective
fields) for claiming.

The real truth of the matter is that until you REALLY know
what you are talking about, you just seem ignorant. I have
shown these posts to a number of pathologists and
dermatologists and they LAUGHED!

Here's what you should do to validate your points
criticizing out-of-hospital labs: (please do this, because I
think you have the brass)

1) go to your pathology group (the docs) and ask to see a
complete breakdown of how they are paid vs how much work is
coming in the door. Many are privately contracted groups.

2) pay a visit to your hospital administration department
and ask them to show you their "books" and how much they
profit from lab tests (including, but not necessarily
limited to the technical component on histo tests; or ask
them about their financial arrangements with the CORPORATE
lab they have in house that pays most histotech checks and
contracts with the physician group.

3) learn a little more about the differences between many
(not all) general pathologists and clinician
dermatopathologists.n Sounds like some of you "haven't a
clue."

MOST OF ALL: why not act a little more maturely. Some of you
are very mature in your comments, some are just petty.

I will debate anyone on this. Please fire away. I have DEEP
resources to counter anything you say. I will also not
hesitate to start lamenting the problems with hospital labs.
They aren't God's gift to patient care across the board
either. I DO have the persepective because I have worked in
hospitals (military and civilian)and have also worked the
out-of-hospital lab world.

Thank you to all of you who are engaged in "building-up" our
excellent community of histology professionals. For those of
you who want to beat people up and look a fool, then please
find your way somewhere else. This is a professional forum,
not your own bully pulpit.

SO...next time someone wants to "paint with a broad
brushstroke" and demean or belittle jr techs out there or
cast dipersions on highly-qualified medical professionals,
please remember that you, too, may be living in a glass
house.

Regards,

Andrew Burgeson
Histotechnologist