[Histonet] GI, Uro, or Derm Path Lab Set Up

Paula Lucas plucas <@t> biopath.org
Fri Feb 5 13:09:45 CST 2010

And just remember to those techs out there accepting jobs like these because
they are offering salaries that are way above the salary range, that the
investors will want their money back at some point.  And, if and when the
pod lab is suffering financially, there go the investors, then the business
and there goes your job.

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
[mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Thomas
Jasper
Sent: Thursday, February 04, 2010 4:02 PM
To: Nails, Felton
Cc: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: RE: [Histonet] GI, Uro, or Derm Path Lab Set Up

I am in total agreement with both Richard and Felton here.  Sorry
Timothy if you are reading this but to me the bottom line is patient
care.  And in the end set-ups like this hurt patients.  These "labs" and
I'm using the term loosely are put in place to line the pockets of a
small number of people at the top of a pyramid.

I guess someone will always work to put things like this together if
there is a demand.  But please realize, if this is what you're involved
in, the reality is...

~ Questionable facilities - Cramming professional, OSHA legal and
ergonomically correct lab operations into small office spaces is a poor
idea at best.  Proper plumbing, ventilation and lab space are serious
considerations and fall by the wayside when these operations are put
together.

~ Qualified personnel - All of us posting on this list understand the
fact that qualified, competent Histology Lab personnel are in demand and
difficult to find.  The wage for qualified, competent technical
expertise does not fit into the plans of the originators of these
operations.

~ Proper equipment and instruments - While the aim of these operations
is limited in scope, basic functional equipment and instruments are
required.  In the overall scheme of things, pathology is still a
bargain.  However, money must be spent to properly equip a competent
working lab with modern instruments.

I could go on but that makes the basic point.  And Timothy, lest you
think that I'm shooting from the hip I assure I am not.  Like most
people on this list, I am a serious, diligent professional.  I have
interviewed people from "pod" labs that have worked under horrible
conditions.  I am also aware of a "pod" lab trying to get off the ground
that shouldn't have an ice cube's chance in hell.  The plans for this
lab do not have proper plumbing, ventilation or space and there is no
equipment.  While a position has been advertised I cannot think of a
single tech, worth his or her salt, that would consider associating
themselves with such an ill-conceived venture.

One last point - don't forget Timothy, that one day you may be that
patient.  Or it may be your mother, sister, daughter, wife, son,
friend...I'll stop there.  Every block, every slide, every piece of
tissue that I or any of my staff encounter is a precious patient...a
human life.  So trying to dumb everything down, cut corners and make a
small number of people wealthy in the process is an irresponsible and
utterly ridiculous risk.  The professionals in our field have worked
hard for a good number of years to come out of the basement spaces and
after-thought little nooks and crannies and other poor facilities to do
the highly skilled work this profession demands.  I for one will never
abide going backwards and I don't believe people of good conscience and
humanity will either.

Sincerely yours,
Tom Jasper

Thomas Jasper HT (ASCP) BAS
Histology Supervisor
Central Oregon Regional Pathology Services
Bend, Oregon 97701
541/693-2677
tjasper <@t> copc.net