[Histonet] Klotz fixative

Greg Dobbin gvdobbin <@t> ihis.org
Mon Feb 1 08:18:45 CST 2010

The benefit of Klotz is it preserves tissues/organs while not altering
the color and texture "much". Therefore good for demonstration labs. We
used to store teaching specimens in Klotz in the walk-in cooler (+ 4C)
to aid in the preservation even further. It is not adequate for
long-term storage as far as I am aware. I have no experience with the
affects on histological preparations.
Greg

Greg Dobbin, R.T.
Chief Technologist, Anatomic Pathology
Dept. of Laboratory Medicine,
Queen Elizabeth Hospital,
P.O. Box 6600
Charlottetown, PE    C1A 8T5
Phone: (902) 894-2337
Fax: (902) 894-2385

"I find that the harder I work, the
more luck I seem to have."
- Thomas Jefferson

>>> John Kiernan <jkiernan <@t> uwo.ca> 2/1/2010 2:08 AM >>>
A Google search for KLOTZ FIXATIVE brings up many hits, with
indications that "Klotz solution" is an embalming fluid for gross
anatomy.  That's not the same as as a fixative.

Follow up the links and see if they match what you need.
Embalming fluids do not necessarily provide good histological fixation.

John Kiernan
Anatomy, UWO
London, Canada
= = =