[Histonet] RE: CAP question for pediatric pathology labs

Linda Margraf LINDA.MARGRAF <@t> childrens.com
Wed Dec 29 12:31:57 CST 2010

Dear Ronnie
We at the Children's Medical Center, Dallas do a twice a year slide exchange of ten cytopathology cases with another Children's Hospital.  We actually learn a lot from this exercise as they critique slide quality as well as diagnoses. All the Anatomic pathology faculty take part in case reviews and we meet as a group to hear about the results of the other program's review of our cases.  It is also much more pertinent to the nature of our pediatric  pathology material than the CAP program would be (and the price is negligible).  We have never had a CAP inspector have a problem with this type of program. We are careful to keep it all well documented in our quality records.
Linda M
Histonet administrator

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Houston, Ronald
Sent: Wednesday, December 29, 2010 8:13 AM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] CAP question for pediatric pathology labs

CYP.00190

Phase I

N/A YES NO

For laboratories that perform non-gynecologic cytopathology, does the laboratory participate in a peer educational program in NON-GYNECOLOGIC cytopathology (e.g., CAP Interlaboratory Comparison Program in Non-Gynecologic Cytopathology NGC)?

How are labs responding to this request for a peer-educational program in non-gyn cytopath, as there is no such program for pediatric cytopathology, and, in the opinion of our pathologists, the CAP program is useless as far as it pertains to pediatrics?

We have had varying responses from inspectors which we have adopted and then the next inspector says this isn't good enough and you should be doing something else. There has been little to no direction from CAP.

Thanks

Ronnie Houston, MS HT(ASCP)QIHC
Anatomic Pathology Manager

ChildLab, a Division of Nationwide Children's Hospital

www.childlab.com

700 Children's Drive
Columbus, OH 43205
(P) 614-722-5450
(F) 614-722-2899
ronald.houston <@t> nationwidechildrens.org<mailto:ronald.houston <@t> nationwidechildrens.org>
www.NationwideChildrens.org<http://www.NationwideChildrens.org>

"One person with passion is better than forty people merely interested."
~ E.M. Forster

----------------------------------------- Confidentiality Notice:
The following mail message, including any attachments, is for the
sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential
and privileged information. The recipient is responsible to
maintain the confidentiality of this information and to use the
information only for authorized purposes. If you are not the
intended recipient (or authorized to receive information for the
intended recipient), you are hereby notified that any review, use,
disclosure, distribution, copying, printing, or action taken in
reliance on the contents of this e-mail is strictly prohibited. If
you have received this communication in error, please notify us
immediately by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original
message. Thank you.

This e-mail, facsimile, or letter and any files or attachments transmitted with it contains
information that is confidential and privileged. This information is intended only for the
use of the individual(s) and entity(ies) to whom it is addressed. If you are the intended
recipient, further disclosures are prohibited without proper authorization. If you are not
the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, printing, or use of this information is
strictly prohibited and possibly a violation of federal or state law and regulations. If you
have received this information in error, please notify Children's Medical Center Dallas
immediately at 214-456-4444 or via e-mail at privacy <@t> childrens.com. Children's Medical
Center Dallas and its affiliates hereby claim all applicable privileges related to this
information.