[Histonet] billing for breast cases

Hutton, Allison AHutton <@t> dh.org
Wed Dec 29 11:29:23 CST 2010

A debate has arisen and I am looking to histonet for a more definitive answer.  We have a breast surgeon who, after he removes the lumpectomy specimen, always goes back and removes more tissue around the margins of the lumpectomy.  Our question is how should these additional margins be charged.  Currently we charge an 88305 for each of the additional margins (there are no sutures indicating any orientation, however, one can determine the old and new margins).  Is 88305 the correct charge in this situation or should they be higher at an 88307?
Thank you in advance,
Allison