[Histonet] Re: positive slides

Hayes, Randi (HorizonNB) Randi.Hayes <@t> horizonnb.ca
Tue Dec 7 07:25:17 CST 2010

The VWR slides (superfrost catalogue #48311-703) are the only slide that
is validated to be used on the Ventana platforms.  The problem with
these slides is that they are hydrophobic.  They do hold onto the tissue
really well, but when you dip them in a water bath or pipette fluid on
them while they are sitting on the stainer, you will notice that the
fluid pools and does not spread evenly over the entire slide.  This is
causing problems with consistency in staining.  Another site in my area
has had problems with their FISH staining as a result of these slides as
well.  I would like to be able to tell you that Ventana has been able to
provide an alternative for this problem, but I can't. *sigh*

Now, if you're ambitious and have loads of time on your hands (sarcasm
intended!), Surgipath does produce a charged slide that is hydrophilic.
They are called Apex Superior Adhesive Slides.  My rep sent me a couple
of boxes to try, but with our volume of IHC staining and only one
instrument, we just haven't been able to squeeze in a validation study.
If you try to do this, please let me know how you make out!

Good luck!

Randi Hayes
Histology Supervisor
Horizon Health Network - Moncton Zone
Moncton, NB  Canada
randi.hayes <@t> HorizoNB.ca
------- Horizon Health Network Disclaimer -------

This e-mail communication (including any or all attachments) is intended
only for the use of the person or entity to which it is addressed and may
contain confidential and/or privileged material. If you are not the intended
recipient of this e-mail, any use, review, retransmission, distribution,
dissemination, copying, printing, or other use of, or taking of any action in
reliance upon this e-mail, is strictly prohibited. If you have received this
e-mail in error, please contact the sender and delete the original and any
copy of this e-mail and any printout thereof, immediately. Your
co-operation is appreciated.

Le présent courriel (y compris toute pièce jointe) s'adresse uniquement à
son destinataire, qu'il soit une personne ou un organisme, et pourrait
comporter des renseignements privilégiés ou confidentiels. Si vous n'êtes
pas le destinataire du courriel, il est interdit d'utiliser, de revoir, de
retransmettre, de distribuer, de disséminer, de copier ou d'imprimer ce
courriel, d'agir en vous y fiant ou de vous en servir de toute autre façon.
Si vous avez reçu le présent courriel par erreur, prière de communiquer
avec l'expéditeur et d'éliminer l'original du courriel, ainsi que toute copie
électronique ou imprimée de celui-ci, immédiatement. Nous sommes
reconnaissants de votre collaboration.