[Histonet] Workload Recording

WILLIAM DESALVO wdesalvo.cac <@t> hotmail.com
Mon Dec 6 20:42:51 CST 2010

There are now several commercial workload/work flow management systems available, if you are bar coded for your blocks and slides (Ventana, Thermo, Leica and Dako). These "automated " processes can simplify the capture of metrics for individuals, but not many have robust report functions. You could also use a manual system for capturing metrics, but this approach will require some additional effort over and above what is required for the automated systems. Both approaches will provide you a detailed look at what can be done, what is being done and what should be done at each step of your process and by whom. Productivity is a key management tool and with all the economy and industry pressures being applied, now being looked at closely for the Histology lab.

I have been manually capturing workload metrics for accessioning, grossing, embedding and microtomy for 7+ years. It can be very useful when working with management to develop the correct staffing needs for the manual tasks in Histology. Workload recording allows you to better manage your process and employees. The data collected can be sliced and diced in many ways and I strongly suggest you collect on a daily basis. Each employee should know exactly what is expected of them for productivity and quality and you can only provide that direction when you have useful data. Once you have the data and create your reports, make sure you communicate with all employees regularly and continually.

All that said, what are you trying to accomplish with creating workload metrics and/or what does your boss want to accomplish? It is important to understand that just capturing the workload metrics mean nothing without coupling quality standards. I believe that since we are very manual in our unit (case/specimen/block/slide) production, you must not just look at the production factor, you must apply a quality factor/standard, before setting any production standards. Quality must come first. last and always in your process development. Of course, that will mean you will need to take the next step and develop a process for capturing, trending and correcting all Mislabel, Procedural and Technical errors produced at each step of the process and ensure that the production metric and quality metric, when combined will lead and direct you to improved quality and measurable standards.

I find that having the workload and quality metrics available provides valuable information for development of staff, training/competency documentation, SOP's and justifying equipment, consumables and reagent purchases. I learned from my CEO that "You cannot manage what you do not measure". I would be more than happy to discuss this process with you off line, just send me an e-mail to start the process.

William DeSalvo, B.S., HTL(ASCP)
wdesalvo.cac <@t> hotmail.com