[Histonet] FITC on Ventana Ultra

Nita Searcy NSEARCY <@t> swmail.sw.org
Fri Aug 27 09:30:18 CDT 2010

Any users out there that have had A CAP inspector question negative control on the instrument? In regard to CAP question ANP.21850 in which the notes state, "A negative reagent control in which the patient tissue is processed in an identical manner to the test specimen but with the primary antibody omitted must be performed for each patient test specimen?"

Below is the response from Ventana regarding "negatives" I am curios if CAP accepts these methods??

In regards to the question below about running a negative control fitc, there are two ways to accomplish this.

1) There is not currently a place in the protocol to select a fitc negative. We can still be compliant by ensuring the negative slide is treated the same as the patient. The only reagent the patient slide is exposed to, besides the fitc antibody, is reaction buffer. Running a negative can be accomplished by applying reaction buffer to the slide and letting it incubate for the same amount of time. Next, it is important to ensure both slides are coverslipped in the came mounting media.
2) The second method is to utilize internal negatives that are already present within the patient tissue. However, this is difficult when running Fitc antibodies such as IgG, IgM, etc.
We are looking into adding this addition into the software. Many customers, however have expressed that they would rather utilize the slide drawer for another patient slide, rather than running the fitc negative.

Am interested in your comments.
Thanks

Nita Searcy, HT/HTL (ASCP)
Scott and White Hospital