Testing for shrinkage RE: [Histonet] shrinkage/a howlong is a piece of string type question

Jan.Minshew <@t> leica-microsystems.com Jan.Minshew <@t> leica-microsystems.com
Wed Aug 25 11:26:38 CDT 2010

   Hey lady,
   How are you?  I haven't seen you on Histonet much lately.  I hope that
   means that you are doing fun things and not working so hard.
   We  have  settled in Plano.  It's so nice to be around family!  Will I
   see  you at NSH?  If so, we have to have our night out again so we can
   catch up on gossip...
   Kind regards,
   Jan Minshew
   Marketing Manager
   Leica Microsystems
   Biosystems Division
   2345 Waukegan Road
   Bannockburn, IL 60015
   Office:  847.405.7051
   Cell:     847.970.8468
   Fax:     847.405.6560
   www.leica-microsystems.com
   Click Here for this month's special offers!
   [1]http://www.leica-microsystems.com/bsdspecial

   "gayle callis" <gayle.callis <@t> bresnan.net>
   Sent by: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu

   08/25/2010 10:59 AM

   "'Edwards, Richard E.'" <ree3 <@t> leicester.ac.uk>,

                                                                       cc

                                                                  Subject

   Testing  for  shrinkage  RE: [Histonet] shrinkage/a howlong is a piece
        of string type question

   Have  you  ever  thought  of  doing  a  shrinkage test?  Take a tissue
   specimen,
   and xerox or use a flat bed scanner.  Put fixed sample between plastic
   sheets,  and  scan  it  as unfixed tissue, fixed before processing and
   then
   after  processing  while  in  a  faced  paraffin  block.  Take all the
   measurements
   and then do the calculations./    We used to xerox large stained bone
   sections,  a  clever  way  of getting a precise macro-images of a huge
   specimen
   to  show gross features of a defect. This did a better job than trying
   to do
   a  macro-photo  with  a  camera  or  through  a microscope (the latter
   doesn't
   happen).
   Years  ago,  when  preparing  for HTL exam practical, the samples e.g.
   tissue
   sections  submitted  had to be within a certain size range, and it was
   duly
   noted that after processing, the samples had shrinkage.  This required
   going
   back to fixed tissue and cutting a bigger piece to compensate for the
   shrinkage and have a final correct sample/section size to follow the
   practical rules.
   As  for  GMA,  there is a special processing schedule given to me that
   does not
   use alcohol dehydration (for lipid staining work).  This protocol uses
   an
   GMA/watergradient  since  GMA  is  miscible with water.  I would think
   there
   would  be even less shrinkage with a water/GMA gradient and the source
   of
   shrinkage  would  come  from the heat of polymerization and possibly a
   bit from
   kind  of  fixative  used.   The  heat can controlled to some degree by
   doing
   polymerization  on ice, or in a refrigerator, with the round JB4 metal
   chucks
   to dissipate the heat.
   Once again, I agree with Bryan Hewlett's assessment of shrinkage.
   Gayle Callis
   HTL/HT/MT(ASCP)
   Bozeman MT