[Histonet] Quick frozen sectioning and IMHC questions

gayle callis gayle.callis <@t> bresnan.net
Tue Aug 24 17:57:56 CDT 2010

Patrick,

Bring sections out of freezer and air dry at RT immediately, preferably lay
on a countertop to warm as quickly as possible.  They may look a little
"frosty" but let them warm up for a few minutes - what you see is some water
condensation.  You cannot wash these sections in buffer before fixation, so
mark with PAP pen then fix the air dried sections.  After that, go to buffer
and then stain.  IF you wash before fixation, you will lose an unfixed
frozen  section off the slide.

We prefer to air dry unfixed fresh tissue frozen sections (I presume that is
what you did here?) for a minimum of 30 minutes, then put into a storage box
that holds ONE days staining run.  We put a little bag of 16 mesh silica gel
in the box with sections. Take box from freezer, and let the sections come
to room temperature for 20 minutes or longer.  Open box, mark with PAP pen,
fix and stain.  If you open the box immediately after removing from freezer,
you will get water condensation.  And if you open a box, remove some
sections, then return box to freezer, you get a thaw/freeze of sections.
Water condensation can damage sections and thaw/freeze will eventually
damage antigens - I would avoid both.  If storing fresh tissue frozen
sections as positive and negative controls, use the 5 slide mailers with
lids, and take out a mailer to warm up to RT.  This keeps other sections
frozen until use.  We put the mailers w/ slides in a zip lock baggie for
quick removal of a few sections to avoid opening and closing a large box.

As for BSA, we no longer use it for any immunostaining
procedures/buffers/diluents,blocking reagents, etc but if you must use it,
there is Jackson's immunoglobulin/protease free.  This is also available
from Sigma, high quality for molecular biology procedures and in larger
quantity. We use only Tween 20 in our buffers now. There is a publication
(which I would be happy to send in pdf) about the effects of BSA with
primary and secondary antibodies in AIMM journal and why it causes IHC
problems. We prefer a normal serum block matched to host of secondary
antibody.

Once sections are at RT, they stay at RT unless fixed in cold acetone (4C
for 10 min, then air dry again at RT) then all staining, etc is done at RT.

We never store a frozen section in a cryostat, it goes from pick up to RT
for air drying then freezer storage (-80C, -70C is good).

Have fun on your new job.

Gayle Callis
HTL/HT/MT(ASCP)
Bozeman MT