[Histonet] shrinkage

Smith, Allen asmith <@t> mail.barry.edu
Tue Aug 24 14:42:04 CDT 2010

When I wrote my thesis on sweat glands, my experience was that fixation in Helly's fluid ("Zenker-formol") and paraffin embedding caused serious shrinkage: about 10-15% in each dimension.

Allen A. Smith
Professor of Anatomy
Barry University School of Podiatric Medicine

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Gudrun Lang
Sent: Tuesday, August 24, 2010 11:50 AM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: AW: [Histonet] shrinkage

I think tissue shrinkage is a fairy tail, told by pathologists at the
grossing. ;) "Sure, it is a little bit large, but it will shrink.."
Too big blocks stay too big while embedding.

**just for smiling**

There's a study by Cecil Fox 1985 (Formaldehyde fixation), who showed that
shrinkage while fixation occurs only with concentrated formaldehyd, perhaps
due to the methanol-part in commercial formalin.

For dehydration, "de-fattation" and infiltration I think, it depends on the
gradationsteps of the solutions, the applied temperature and the
"ingredients" of the tissue. With our standard protocol (13 hours VIP) I
never found excessiv shrinkage.
So, like always, it depends...

Gudrun Lang