[Histonet] Retracting microtomes

Sharon.Davis-Devine Sharon.Davis-Devine <@t> carle.com
Thu Aug 19 11:10:51 CDT 2010

I have another question for all of you experts out there.  We have a brand new microtome that we inherited from another laboratory. It is a retracting microtome whereas all of the other microtomes in our laboratory are not. None of our techs like this new microtome and find it difficult to use.  My question to you as a group is, do many of you have retracting microtomes in your laboratory?  If so, do you insist that techs in your laboratory learn to use this type of microtome even if they do not feel comfortable using it?

The reason I ask is that I want to replace it with an older model which is non-retracting and management is insisting that since we already have it here our techs just need to learn how to use it.  We have students rotating thru the rotations and often have to use different microtomes, I am worried that if we have one outlier microtome which operates differently specimens could be compromised.  I welcome all your thoughts and opinions.

Sharon Davis-Devine, CT (ASCP)
Cytology-Histology  Supervisor
Carle Foundation Hospital
Laboratory and Pathology Services