Re-thinking Nigerian Scam ! [Histonet] FW: NEEDS URGENT HELP !!!

Jan Shivers shive003 <@t> umn.edu
Wed Aug 18 08:30:00 CDT 2010

Reminder... these 'please send money' or 'please send your bank acct
information so that I can deposit money into your acct' pleas are ALWAYS
scams.  They have been for years.  If a trusted 'friend' was truly stranded
in a foreign country, they'd borrow a phone and call home.  If a long lost
relative died and left you money in another country, it would be a lawyer
contacting you via telephone or letter, and definitely not through an email
message.

Best advice... don't even open these messages up.  They're bogus, and could
be carrying viruses, worms, etc. themselves.  Being on a listserv like
histonet, we're prone to receive a lot of these email fraud attempts.
Ignore them.

Jan Shivers

----- Original Message -----
From: "Akemi Allison" <akemiat3377 <@t> yahoo.com>
To: <histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu>
Cc: <histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu>; "Valantou Grover"
<vgrover <@t> polysciences.com>
Sent: Tuesday, August 17, 2010 8:24 PM
Subject: Re: Re-thinking Nigerian Scam ! [Histonet] FW: NEEDS URGENT HELP
!!!

Sorry Histonetters, but this needs to be cleared up!  OK, Jerry
Santiago, are you alive and well in FL or the UK in trouble, or is
this another ridiculous scam????  I know how well connected you are,
so one of your colleagues should know.......

Akemi Allison BS, HT (ASCP) HTL
Director
Phoenix Lab Consulting
Tele: 408.335.9994
E-Mail: akemiat3377 <@t> yahoo.com

On Aug 17, 2010, at 1:47 PM, Eric Hill wrote:

> Hi,
> My wife got scammed with something almost the same a month ago,  less
> detailed message in hers though!  They got into her gmail and  deleted all
> her contacts and tried to delete all her most recent  emails (they forgot
> to clear out her trash though, so she got most  back).
> Don't fall for it!
> -Eric
>
> Research Tech 1
> Program in Memrane Biology
> Mass Genreal Hospital
>
> On Aug 17, 2010, at 4:37 PM, Akemi Allison wrote:
>
>> I am rethinking this email since I read it over again.  The scam  email I
>> received asked for money ($1,800) to be sent to England  via Western
>> Union.  I am not sure about this since this supposed  Jerry is asking for
>> just a response email.  I would still be very  cautious!
>>
>> The Idaho news said the lady received a "yahoo request" (same as  mine)
>> asking for email address, password, country of origin,  mothers maiden
>> name, ect.  Once the perpetrator had the  information, they immediately
>> extracted all her information and  cleaned her bank accounts out.  This
>> was a business computer   account and it shut down her business!
>>

>> Akemi Allison BS, HT (ASCP) HTL
>> Director
>> Phoenix Lab Consulting
>> Tele: 408.335.9994
>> E-Mail: akemiat3377 <@t> yahoo.com
>>
>> On Aug 17, 2010, at 1:20 PM, Valantou Grover wrote:
>>
>>> Thanks, I deleted the message, now I am going to run a anti virus
>>> program.
>>>
>>> Valantou
>>> ********************************************************************
>>> **********************
>>> * Visit us at the 36th Annual National Society for  Histotechnology
>>> Convention - September 26-28, Seattle, WA - BOOTH  126-128
>>> * Polysciences/Bangs Laboratories, Inc. will be hosting the 2010  Latex
>>> Course in Orlando, FL at the Grand Floridian Resort from  10/3 – 10/5.
>>> Please enquire at info <@t> bangslabs.com for additional  details! Phone:
>>> 800-387-0672, 317-570-7020.

>>> if this is real or if someone is assuming his identity overseas,  foul
>>> play,