[Histonet] xylene in an unventilated area

Gervaip <@t> aol.com Gervaip <@t> aol.com
Mon Aug 16 21:43:14 CDT 2010

I just recently did a lot of research into the different hoods.  I  decided
the down draft was not going to work for us since we like to place
absorbant towels down to catch the xylene while coverslipping.  I decided  to
purchase one that a high CFM (Air flow rate), low decibles and a monitor on  the
filter to let one know when the filter was saturated and needed to be
changed.  And I wanted the sash that comes down in front of your face to be
glass, so that we could clean it periodically with xylene to get splashes of
mounting media off.  For the money PurAir was very good...   body  was plastic
and the clear part that is lowered while in use was plastic.   It had good
CFM, good decible level and a monitor for filter  saturation.    The
LabConco is stainless steel and glass, with  good CFM, decible level and a monitor
for filter saturation.
The problem with the little Shandon is that the CFM is about  30 at max
when the sash is lowered.  Newer ones, such as the PurAir  and Labconco have
about 120+ CFM.  And the Shandon has no monitor for  filter saturation.  The
PurAir had the footprint needed for cytology, which  is very small in my
area.
There is another company that was good, but my brain cells cannot recall
the info.  If anyone wants more info, please e-mail me.

In a message dated 8/16/2010 12:01:08 P.M. Central Daylight Time,