[Histonet] RE: Acceptable way to "bake" sections onto slides?

Cheri Miller cmiller <@t> physlab.com
Sat Aug 14 07:51:12 CDT 2010

Better an extra step than inadequate baking. We put ours in an oven for 20 mins, cool with a fan and then put on our auto stainer.

Cheryl A. Miller HT(ASAP)cm
Histology/Cytology Prep Supervisor
Physicians Laboratory Services
Omaha, NE. 402 731 4145 ext. 554
-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Gibson, Philip
Sent: Friday, August 13, 2010 7:24 AM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] Acceptable way to "bake" sections onto slides?

Hi

In our "fairly large" histopathology lab we're hoping to consolidate our
autostainers and coverslippers to only two (Sakura) machines.

In order to efficiently do this, we would need to bypass the
autostainer's oven so that multiple racks of slides can be processed
continuously without any 10-15 minute hold-ups. Therefore, we would like
our four separate microtomist teams to place freshly-cut sections on a
hotplate to "bake" for 10 minutes, before being picked up into racks and
transferred directly to xylene on the autostainer.

My question:

Do hotplates work well enough to do this? Two conflicting views in my
lab are (a) Yes, this would work in my experience, and (b) No, this
creates artifacts because water trapped underneath the sections boils
and does damage.

Of course, the more conventional approach would be to use ovens, but
wasteful step.

What do my fellow histonetters think?

Many Thanks

Phil