[Histonet] Nail Problems

Gerard Spoelstra G.Spoelstra <@t> murdoch.edu.au
Fri Aug 13 04:55:51 CDT 2010

Hi Laurie,

I have had success keeping the nails on using gelatin coated slides. I make up the gelatin in beaker and dissolve it using the microwave. Then coat the slide and pick the section from the water bath using the the just coated slide. I then dry the slide overnight in the 37degree oven. You may need to vary the concentration of the gelatin. My first attempts were successful because the gelatin wasn't concentrated enough. The reason I think that the nail won't stick is because you can't get it to sit flat. Also you can first float the section on cold water. I can't remember whether I picked up the section only from cold water exclusively. I think that nails have to be one of the most difficult tissues to keep on a slide.

Gerard Spoelstra
Veterinary Histology
Murdoch University
Western Australia

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu on behalf of Laurie Elmgren
Sent: Thu 8/12/2010 8:15 PM
To: Histonet
Subject: [Histonet] Nail Problems

Does anyone have a sure fire way of keeping nails attached to the slide?

We use Sta-On and charged slides, have used albumin, dried overnight,
and still have difficulty keeping them attached during staining.

Laurie Elmgren

Histology Supervisor

Sunrise Medical Labs

240 Motor Pkwy

Hauppauge, NY 11788

(631)435-1515x1108

"This message contains privileged and confidential information intended
only for the use of the addressee named above. If you are not the
intended recipient of this message you must not disseminate, copy or
take any action in reliance on it."