[Histonet] purple spots

Walters, Katherine S katherine-walters <@t> uiowa.edu
Wed Aug 11 14:07:43 CDT 2010

Hi All,

I recently did an Oil-Red-O stain using my usual procedure with
formaldehyde vapor fixation, Harris hematoxylin, and finally Oil-Red-O.
I was staining some frozen diseased aortic mouse tissue. This time the
stain resulted in some dense purple spots in the tissue.  I had not seen
this before.  I have posted pictures on the www.histonet.org website.
The files are named low mag 2c, 2b, 2d, and 2e.  The last three are a
higher magnification of the first picture.

I was hoping someone can tell me what these spots are.   I suspect that
they are simply necrotic tissue, but I would like the opinion of
experts.

Thanks for taking a look!

Kathy

Katherine Walters