[Histonet] Re: How to troubleshoot a cytology slide with dehydration problems

Valerie R. vrodriguez10 <@t> gmail.com
Fri Apr 30 19:48:58 CDT 2010

I forgot to include the complete protocol that my lab uses so you can help
me better:

1.After dehydrating in sodium chloride for 25 seconds you have to dip the
slides in alcohol 95.
2. 10 dips in water then 1.30 minutes in hematoxylin, it used to be 1 min,
then rinse in water.
3. 1 min in rinse solution
4.10 dips in water.
5. 1 min in bluing solution
6. 10 dips in water.
7. 10 dips in alcohol.
8. 10 dips in alcohol.
9. 1 min in orange solution
10. 15 dips in 95 alcohol.
11. 15 dips in 95 alcohol.
12.  3.15 mins in EA solution
13. The slides are then dipped in 3 containers of 95 alcohol (20 dips each)
14. Slides are dipped in 3 containers of 99 alcohol (15 dips in each)
15. Then they are dipped in Isoxylene which is a combination of xylene and
99 alcohol (15 dips)
16. And lastly Xylene 10 dips

When the slides do not absorb the h20 saline seems that the slides absorb
more EA than hematoxylin.  I don't know why.