[Histonet] Repeat validation when IHC protocol changed?

Kevin_Kurtz <@t> ssmhc.com Kevin_Kurtz <@t> ssmhc.com
Fri Apr 30 13:46:16 CDT 2010

Recently our IHC vendor sent a tech to help us out with some weak staining
affecting multiple antibodies.  Several staining protocols were changed,
including adjusting the incubation time and adding amplification.  The
results were great in the slides that I was shown.

The tech said that revalidation was unnecessary, since the changes to the
protocol were considered "minor".  However, I personally disagree, since
we don't know how the change in the staining protocol could potentially
affect staining of other tissues (especially tissues that would be
expected to be negative). Before subjecting our lab to the cost and effort
of revalidation, I'd like to get your opinion.

For new antibodies, I usually validate using 10 cases expected to be
positive and 10 cases expected to be negative for the antibody in
question. For revalidation, I was thinking of running 5 positive cases and
5 negative cases.

Thanks for your input -

Kevin Kurtz, M.D.
St. Mary's Hospital
Madison, Wisconsin

Confidentiality Notice: This email message, including any
attachments, is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and
may contain confidential and privileged information. Any
unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited.