[Histonet] inconsistent staining after quarterly decon

Kim Tournear kimtournear <@t> yahoo.com
Thu Apr 29 11:46:21 CDT 2010

Hi Carol,
We use (2) benchmarks in our lab but use Amphyl to decon. After decon, we flush with water by "priming" the systems and then we "purge" reaction buffer and ez prep fluid back into the lines.

Purge alcohol thru the liquid coverslip lines to make sure all the water evaporates out of the lines. Before purging the LCS into the lines make sure the LCS container dry completely before refilling. I suggesting rinsing container with 100% alcohol then wait 15-20 minutes before introducing LCS back into the system.

I would suggest you cut 20 full coverage tonsil slides (sections from top to bottom) and run all 20 of them with the same antibody to test your staining (CD20 will work nicely). This will tell you if you are getting even coverage from the top of the slide to the bottom and side to side. It might not be the decon procedure, it might be something else.

Hope this helps!!
~Kim Tournear ~ HT (ASCP), QIHC (ASCP)

Histology Supervisor
Tucson Medical Center
Tucson,  AZ
~Don't let your life end before it begins~
OU Rocks!!!!

--- On Thu, 4/29/10, Carol Bryant <cbrya <@t> lexclin.com> wrote:

From: Carol Bryant <cbrya <@t> lexclin.com>
Subject: [Histonet] inconsistent staining after quarterly decon
To: "Histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu" <histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu>
Date: Thursday, April 29, 2010, 9:02 AM

Has anyone else ever experienced inconsistent staining on immunos after the quarterly decontamination of their Benchmark?  I think the Lysol IC is still in the lines after numerous water flushes.
Thank you for any input or suggestions.

Carol Bryant, CT (ASCP)
Cytology/Histology Manager
Pathology Services
Lexington Clinic
Phone (859) 258-4082
Fax (859) 258-4081
cbrya <@t> lexclin.com

NOTICE OF CONFIDENTIALITY

This message, including any attachments, is intended only for the sole use of the addressee and may contain confidential or privileged information that is protected by the State of Kentucky and/or Federal regulations.  If you are not the intended recipient, do not read, copy, retain or disseminate this message or any attachment. If you have received this message in error, please call the sender immediately at (859)258-4000 and delete all copies of this message and any attachment. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure, copying or distribution is strictly prohibited.  Neither the transmission of this message or any attachment, nor any error in transmission or misdelivery shall constitute waiver of any applicable legal privilege.