[Histonet] need tips for cross-sectioning of cortical bone

Nicole Collette collette2 <@t> mail.llnl.gov
Fri Apr 23 12:50:23 CDT 2010

Hi, All,

I primarily section bone, and it's usually paraffin. I second the
vote on chilling the blocks (I chill mine in ice water instead of the
freezer, so if I forget my blocks the wax doesn't crack!), and using
ice water on a swab to keep the block chilled as you section.
Generally I section the entire bone, so about halfway through I need
to re-chill the block, but this whole chilling business may be
processing regimen- and wax type-dependent (uh, and the proficiency
of the user!). If you get a lot of compression of your ribbons, you
will get a lot of wrinkles on your slides, so optimize your cutting
for compression. If you look in the histonet archives, Rene Buesa
posted some time ago typical causes for ribbon/section compression- I
printed it out and keep it posted above the microtome to refer to
when I'm at a loss ;) ...

I transfer my sections to a room temp waterbath with some ethanol
before transferring to the heated waterbath. I also leave my sections
on the heated waterbath, usually 39-40C is a good temp for me, and
let them float until they look pretty much wrinkle-free by eye,
generally a few minutes. Having charged slides also helps, as the
cartilage in your section wants to stick to itself rather than a
slide, that's where a lot of the wrinkles are. A charged slide makes
it want to stick to the slide rather than itself a little more. Last,
after vertical air drying at room temp overnight (it's just
convenient for me, but a few hours should suffice), I "bake" my
slides at 45C overnight on a slide warmer, sometimes it's the
downstream processing that gives you the wrinkles, and good adhesion
helps, which is what the 'baking" is for. Keep in mind that I'm
self-taught, and a very mouse biology small lab, I do all the
processing, cutting, and staining myself. So, what works for me may
not be feasible for everyone, and may still not be the best way to do
things (although I do try to generate beautiful data).

Sincerely,
Nicole Collette
LLNL/ UC Berkeley