[Histonet] Phospho antibodies and fixation

Patsy Ruegg pruegg <@t> ihctech.net
Sat Apr 17 10:57:31 CDT 2010

Ashley,

Contact me directly about phospho antibodies.  I have done a lot of studies
and used some different fixatives other than formalin, but the issue is
complicated.  One does not necessarily have control over whither or not you
are actually capturing the phosphorylation event or not.  There is a company
in my building called PhosphoSolutions that sells Phospho antibodies
exclusively, the owner is Mike Browning and he, others and I did a workshop
at the Denver NSH S/C on this subject.  I have some references and protocol
for fixatives I can provide you, but the fact of the matter is that it did
not seem to make any difference in the results if we used formalin over a
special fixative, what did make a difference is time to fixative, that must
be very well controlled and you should get the tissues into fixative asap.

Best regards,

Patsy

Patsy Ruegg, HT(ASCP)QIHC
IHCtech