[Histonet] CPT coding

Wanda.Smith <@t> HCAhealthcare.com Wanda.Smith <@t> HCAhealthcare.com
Fri Apr 9 09:12:41 CDT 2010

We do a surgical examination on the placenta and the fetus when they are in the same container.  We charge 88307 for the placenta and 88309 for the fetus.
Thanks,
Wanda

WANDA G. SMITH, HTL(ASCP)HT
Pathology Supervisor
TRIDENT MEDICAL CENTER
9330 Medical Plaza Drive
Charleston, SC  29406
843-847-4586
843-847-4296 fax

This email and any files transmitted with it may contain PRIVILEGED or CONFIDENTIAL information and may be read or used only by the intended recipient. If you are not the intended recipient of the email or any of its attachments, please be advised that you have received this email in error and that any use, dissemination, distribution, forwarding, printing, or copying of this email or any attached files is strictly prohibited. If you have received this email in error, please immediately purge it and all attachments and notify the sender by reply email or contact the sender at the number listed.

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of histotech <@t> imagesbyhopper.com
Sent: Thursday, April 08, 2010 9:32 PM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] CPT coding

Hi Histonetters!

We have run into a question about CPT charges and I was hoping to get a more definitive answer than what we currently have.  I know if you have two tonsils in one container, one with a stitch and one without, you can charge for both tonsils.  How about if you have one container with a placenta and a stillborn fetus?  One suggestion is to charge an 88307 and the other is to charge 88300 AND an 88307 (to cover the gross only on the fetus and the tissue that was submitted for the placenta).  What is the standard, shall I say legal?, way of charging for these specimens?  Must you choose one of the charges or are we allowed to use both charges?

Thanks for any light you can shed on this!

Michelle