[Histonet] CPT coding

histotech <@t> imagesbyhopper.com histotech <@t> imagesbyhopper.com
Thu Apr 8 20:32:17 CDT 2010

Hi Histonetters!

We have run into a question about CPT charges and I was hoping to get a more
definitive answer than what we currently have.  I know if you have two
tonsils in one container, one with a stitch and one without, you can charge
for both tonsils.  How about if you have one container with a placenta and a
stillborn fetus?  One suggestion is to charge an 88307 and the other is to
charge 88300 AND an 88307 (to cover the gross only on the fetus and the
tissue that was submitted for the placenta).  What is the standard, shall I
say legal?, way of charging for these specimens?  Must you choose one of the
charges or are we allowed to use both charges?

Thanks for any light you can shed on this!

Michelle