[Histonet] trich/bouin's/FS/Inst cleaning/mast cells

John PJ Coleman jcolclefa <@t> aol.com
Thu Apr 8 08:05:38 CDT 2010

Trichrome: Our Masson Trichrome procedure uses a combined
phosphotungstic/phosphomolybdic acid step for 20 minutes @ RT without
a rinse after, our smooth muscle stays RED..

Bouin's: Working in a rat research lab for years, we fixed all tissue
in bouins for 24 hours, rinsed in water for about an hour and stored
in 70% alcohol till processing.  Is all your tissue post fixed in
bouins or just selected items? Why not Bouin's as a primary fixative?
We got great results on PTAH, Trichrome, Luxol Fast Blue stains.

Frozens: CAP says monitor FS times, if 90% are not within 20 minutes,
document the evaluation of why.   ANP.11820

Instrument cleaning: We use TBQ which is virucidal and does not rust
instruments like bleach does.

Mast cells: We have not had unintentional mast cell staining on our
fleet of Ultras using the either Ultraview or the alk phos kits.

John PJ Coleman, HT(ASCP)QIHC