[Histonet] RE: frozen lung sections

Dishop, Megan Dishop.Megan <@t> tchden.org
Wed Apr 7 10:33:07 CDT 2010

We inflate our lung tissue with a thin OCT compound (50% OCT/ 50% 0.5M sucrose mixture) using a needle and syringe and then embed the lung in 100% OCT and snap freeze.  It helps for interpretation to have open alveoli and also gives the tissue some stability internally for frozen sections.

Megan K. Dishop MD
Department of Pathology, B120
The Children's Hospital
13123 E. 16th Avenue
Aurora, CO 80045
Ph: 720-777-4337
Fax: 720-777-7119

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Molinari, Betsy
Sent: Wednesday, April 07, 2010 8:46 AM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] frozen lung sections

Hi all,

 I have received some lung samples on OCT. These lungs have not been in
PBS or any fixative. They went directly from dissection into OCT and
frozen.

 I cannot get a section. The temp of the cryostat is -20. I have done
some reading and it seems the best results come from immersion in PBS,
then 4% paraformaldehyde then into sucrose. Can anyone clarify the
procedure or offer advice? I am unfamiliar with this technique since
most of my frozen sectioning is heart tissue and it does not present the
same problem as the lung.

Thanks,

Betsy

Betsy Molinari HT(ASCP)

Texas Heart Institute

Cardiovascular Pathology

6770 Bertner Ave

MC1-283

Houston,TX 77030-2607

832-355-6524

832-355-6812

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail is confidential, may be legally privileged,
and for the intended recipient only. Access, disclosure, copying, forwarding and
distribution by any means is strictly prohibited. If received in error,
do not read but delete and e-mail confirmation to the sender.