[Histonet] 4BB5BBB8.4AA8.00C0.0@ah.org>

Andrew Burgeson napoli <@t> siscom.net
Fri Apr 2 15:19:59 CDT 2010

Kathy,

What you mentioned to me is completely inconsistent with
what I learned when I was in training.

ANYONE touching the tissue, especially taking it out of a
specimen container and transferring it to a processing
cassette, is by definition "GROSSING!"

Gross description (dimensions, color, consistency,
friability, etc etc etc) are all included. Every specimen
should at least be getting a gross description, even if it
isn't processed!!! (Example...foreign body, like a rock or a
BB or a stinger from an arthropod, or any foreign object)

I seriously question the validity of the quoted CAP standard
by this person.

Who out there manipulates tissue and doesnt have to describe
it?

Once again, this I would call a "glaring" example of the
nebulous nature of CAP standards sometimes and the arbitrary
interpretations that occur within the organization (and ones
like it, depending upon the individual inspector or CAP
staffer you talk to.

YOU SEE....that is what is really the FACT in all of this
discussion. It's all subjective....just like legal
interpretations. So why does CAP get to be in the
bully-pulpit, pedantically "pontificating" to the pathology
community as to "HOW ITS "SUPPOSED" to be done?"

Regards,

AB