[Histonet] discarding old dry chemicals with no expiration date

Burton, Lynn Lynn.Burton <@t> Illinois.gov
Wed Sep 30 12:31:33 CDT 2009

Our dilemma has been that we aren't sure how they should be disposed of. We have chemicals that are probably more than 30 years old.

Lynn Burton
Lab Assoc. I
Animal Disease Lab
Galesburg, Il 61401

________________________________

From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu on behalf of Kelly Boyd
Sent: Wed 9/30/2009 12:24 PM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] discarding old dry chemicals with no expiration date

Our lab recently had our CLIA inspection and the surveyor informed me that we need to discard any dry chemicals with an opened date of more than 10 years, even though none of the dry chemicals have an expiration date. This was not written up as a deficiency, but it was suggested we follow up on this for our next re-certification.
 I am sure it is best to keep the chemicals current, but is this what all labs are doing?

Kelly D. Boyd, BS, HTL (ASCP)
Lab Manager
Harris Histology Services
2025 Eastgate Dr. Ste. F